podcast listen (Photo credit: Terry Freedman)
Picking up from yesterday’s post and the theme for this week – how to get more out of technology -no extra gadgets or techno speak required! Today is all about Podcasts and how they will make your day rock!
First the 5 second primer for newbies…
- You can listen to Podcasts on any computer or your i gadget (phone, ipod, itouch etc) and Android gadget which means you can usually also listen to them in your car. (if you don’t know about the car plug-in option drop me a note!)
- Podcasts can be found on itunes or on several of the Google apps for Android which you can download for FREE
- 99% of the time Podcasts are FREE
- There are tons of Podcasts in a rainbow of categories – promise you will find something you like!
- Podcast definition
Now …The Top 5 Reasons why Podcasts will make your day rock…
1. LISTEN when you can’t read Podcasts are great for your drive time, waiting in line, working out, cleaning your house and working in your yard which means you start to look forward to these otherwise times of torture
2. GET SMART I luv them because they are a quick hit of smarts! Catch up on the world news, learn a language, business and finance tips, science advances, new foods etc. Basically I feel pretty worldly, cultured and caught up since I just don’t have the time to read things like the latest business book or the online news
3. SHORT Most Podcasts are usually 10-20 minutes you can fit them in anytime! In my mind they are like reading a magazine with all its short bits of info that you can pick up anytime. You don’t have to have to re-listen to the previous minutes to remind yourself what it was you were listening to
4. AUTO UPDATES Why not use technology so that you get fresh material loaded all the time! The subscription option means you don’t have to go back and load each and every Podcast episode you want they are just pushed to your ‘library’
5. SAVES YOU MONEY Podcasts on finance and personal investing give you great tips on saving money plus in my book it’s also a great replacement for XM radio. Yes I know it doesn’t give you everything XM does but it’s darn close – but maybe that’s because listening to live sports isn’t at the top of my list!
What Podcasts are on my short list lately? Right now Podcasts on business, finance, arts and creativity top my listen list.
TED Talk Audio – Speakers from the from the TED conference! Amazing cutting edge, innovative, mind-blowing new ideas! One presenter shared her new process and program developed to get more people to learn the Chinese language easier and faster – absolutely brilliant!
Studio 360 from PRI and WNYC (Public Radio International) What’s happening in pop culture and the arts. My first GET SMART moment was listening to Mel Brooks and his 10,000 year old man skit that apparently is the bible for many comedians! Really – I luv live improv comedy and have never heard this. Where have I been!
HBR Ideacast (Harvard Business Review) Awesome interviews with people like Maya Angelou and great topics that are like Cliff Notes to the latest business and thought leaders.
Money Girl Very practical tips on money and finances. Everything from Yard sales to life insurance
Seth Godin’s Startup School This is only a limited set of Podcasts from his startup school about a year ago. If you’re thinking of starting a new business or have one that needs a super charge well worth your time!
Enjoy your time listening to a few Podcasts and make your day rock!