You have some spare time – exactly one day. You have already told your adorable daughter (insert any young child here) the zoo is on the agenda. You’d like to fit in some good local food, excellent coffee, see family and a bit of downtown life..aka some cute small shops. By the way you promised to take the train too – public transportation!
Let me start from the end – the train is awesome! You seriously feel like you took a vacation. No driving, no bad drivers and no bathroom, gas or snacks stops. Plus, you are able to give your adorable child great lessons in saving the earth by taking mass transit and the unexpectedly crazy people who use public transportion…but more on that later.
Why should you take the train to the zoo? Besides having promised to go to the zoo with your adorable young one, here are some fab reasons why as an adult should visit anyways…
1. Big teeth animals! The zoo still has super cool animals with that look mean but can’t eat you. I would really prefer to see this in the zoo than getting a personal visit in the wild
2. Flamingos are awesome! Not just because they can stand on one leg, but they can pretty much hide their entire head in their body. I’m sure we’ve all had days where this would really come in handy. It’s great to see this gift has been given to someone too bad it wasn’t me
3. Photo bombing surprises. Leave your camera with your family while you take a time out for the restroom, and realize when you download the photos, sleeping pig photos have have appeared.
4. Lizard and tortoise food battles! Where else would you get to see a lizard and a tortoise battle it out for kale.
5. A swan nest! Pretty cool and will be even more impressive when there’s an egg. Guess the Zoo will be getting a few more admissions from me just to check it out again.
In case you’re wondering this is the Santa Barbara Zoo in Southern California. We did squeeze in great local food with family at Jeannines, a mexican cafe that is amazing unfortunately the name totally escapes me and Kai Sushi since it’s my daughter’s namesake. Yes, we also squeezed in a visit to my favorite local handmade shop Plum Goods.
Now to the later part about a lesson in public transportation and crazy people you find… our return train from the zoo adventure also included an announcement to all travelers that there are reasons for having rules about “intoxication”. This was followed promptly with the train backing up to the nearest station, waiting for the police to haul off a few drunk college boys who apparently weren’t being good travelers. Good time of course to add a few insights for my adorable daughter on not drinking or having the police pick you up.
I highly recommend taking the train to the zoo if you ever get the chance. A great day away and well worth every bit of spare time!